Lost productivity during regular hours = unnecessary overtime pay. Here are some of the reasons why business owners always agree that employees work better under supervision.
Survey of time wasted by employees in an 8 hour day:
- Assumed by Human Resources = 0.94 hours a day.
- Suspected by Human Resources = 1.60 hours a day.
- Employees Admitted to Wasting= 2.09 hours per day.
In fact, employees admit to wasting 2.09 hours per day. Here are the top time wasters:
- Surfing Internet (personal use) 44.7%
- Socializing with coworkers 23.4%
- Conducting Personal Business 17.1%
- Spacing Out
- Running Errands off Premises
- Personal Phone Calls (business and cell phone)
- Planning Personal Events
- Arriving Late / Leaving Early 1.0%
1. In the US, honest employees stole over $759 billion dollars in wasted time last year.
2. In Florida, honest employees stole over $44.4 billion dollars in wasted time last year.
Sources: Dan Malachowski, Salary.com / Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor. / Scripps Howard News / National Association of Convenience Stores / Rutgers University / U.S. Department of Justice.